（五） Business Travel
Teaching Objectives (教学目标):
After completing this lesson, students should be able to:
--understand and use basic travel-related vocabulary;
--understand procedures related to checking-in, clearing customs and security checks at the airport;
--effectively use communication skills to:
Ÿ enquire about flights;
Ÿ reserve airplane ticket;
Ÿ enquire about facilities and service in a hotel;
Ÿ book a hotel room;
Ÿ request services in a hotel.
I. Discussion（课堂讨论）: Ask the Ss what people will usually do when they travel by air. Rearrange the following steps in the correct order.
a. Buy a ticket f. Book a hotel room
b. Watch an in-flight movie g. Queue at the check-in
c. Collect their luggage h. Check in at the hotel
d. Take a bus or taxi to a hotel i. Go through customs
e. Go through security j. Check in their luggage
1) ______ 2) _______ 3) _______ 4) ______ 5) _______
6) ______ 7) ______ 8) ______ 9) _______ 10) _______
1. Making enquiries for your trip (旅程咨询)
Could you tell me about the flight to …(place), please?
Do you have any flights in the morning?
There aren’t any direct flights, sir, so you’ll have to stop over in …(place)
How much is the fare?
How much is the one-way/round/return trip?
How much luggage can I take on the plane?
What is the luggage allowance?
Is there any discount for a group booking?
Do you have any special terms for a night flight?
Are you offering any deals at present?
What time do I have to be at the airport?
What’s the check-in time?
You’re supposed to be at the airport by …(time) at the latest.
2. Booking airline tickets (预定机票)
I’d like to book a ticket on …(e.g.British Airways Flight 108) to …(e.g. Paris).
Can I make a reservation for a morning flight on …(e.g. December 1st), please?
I’d prefer economy.
Wait a moment, let me see if there are tickets available.
Sorry, we’re all booked up for that date.
3. Checking in at the airport (机场检录)
May I see your passport, sir?
Your ticket and passport, please.
Can I take these small bags with me?
Can I take these bags as carry-on luggage?
Did you pack your bags yourself? Has anyone given you anything to carry for them?
Do you have any sharp items like scissors in your carry-on bag? You must check them in, if you have.
I’m sorry. Your luggage is 5 kilograms overweight.
What’s the charge for the excess weight?
4. Going through customs (通过海关)
Do you have anything to declare?
May I see your passport and your customs and health declaration forms, please?
Anyone who has anything to declare, please go through the Red Passage/please follow the red arrow.
I don’t know what I have to pay duty on.
Please fill in this Customs Declaration Form.
You’re through now.
You’re cleared. Have a pleasant stay.
III. Listening practice: Listen and Imitate. (录音呈现和模仿操练)
John Smith is phoning to book an airplane ticket. Here is the dialogue between John and the ticket agent. Put it in the correct order, then listen to the dialogue to check your answers. (answers and scripts omitted)
1. Listen to five short conversations, then decide where they take place. (listening materials omitted)
2. Listen to another five conversations and fill in the blanks. (listening materials omitted)
3. Repeat the conversations and pay attention to the key sentences.
1) I’d like to reserve a room for next Monday.
2) Hold on. Let me check for you.
3) I’m sorry, we’re rather full right now.
4) I’m sorry we can’t help you this time, but we hope to see you on another occasion.
5) May I have your ticket and passport, please?
6) How many pieces of luggage would you like to check?
7) Here is your ticket, passport, and boarding pass. The luggage tags are attached to the ticket cover.
8) I’d like to order two ham and cheese sandwiches and a pot of coffee.
9) Your personal belongings are duty-free.
10) Here is your bill. It comes to RMB 780, Mr. Williams.
11) This is your change and your receipt. Thank you for staying in our hotel.
IV. Follow-up Practice. (后续练习)
1. Listen to a conversation at the check-in counter, then complete the chart below.
Seat: Seats C and D in Row 12 (window seat)
Pieces of luggage to check: two
Luggage allowance: 20 kilos per passenger
Luggage weight: 26 kilos
Excessive luggage charge: US $24
Boarding gate: Gate 7
Boarding time: now
2. Listen to the following announcements that are broadcast at the airport. Pay attention to the flight numbers, departure times and boarding gate numbers, then write down them in the blanks. (listening materials omitted)
Words and expressions:
attention; board; passengers; remaining; due to; depart
1) Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention, please?
2) … flight … to … is now boarding at Gate …
3) Attention, please. … passengers to … --flight number …: this flight is now closing/boarding at Gate …
4) Last call for … flight … to … due to depart at … Last call for boarding at Gate …
5) … flight … for … due to depart at … is now boarding at Gate …
V. Play the video and make the role play. (视听呈现和角色扮演)
●New words and expressions: associate; pack; dutiable; formalities; pay duty on; customs declaration form; etc.
1. Do you know about duty-free and dutiable articles that need to be declared when going through customs?
2. Read the following chart to have a rough idea of the video.
●Viewing: Watch the video. Decide whether the following statements are true (T) or false (F).
1) George goes abroad to travel for pleasure.
2) George will stay in that country for about seven days.
3) George has been invited to attend an exposition.
4) George has got three pieces of luggage.
5) George has to pay duty on his laptop computer.
6) George is carrying five packs of cigarettes, and they are duty-free.
7) Articles for commercial use are subject to duty.
8) The value of articles for personal use should be within the limit.
Keys: 1) F 2) T 3) F 4) F 5) F 6) F 7) T 8) T
●Post-viewing: Work in pairs. Make up dialogues according to the following situations. (situation details omitted)
●New words and expressions: vacancy; dry-cleaning; overlook; settle; IDD telephone; etc.
1. Work in pairs. Which kind of facilities do you expect to have in a hotel? Tick them and then compare with your partner.
2. Read the following chart to have a rough idea of the video.
1. Watch the video. As you watch, pay special attention to the language Mary uses for enquiring about the room.
2. Watch the video again, pay special attention to the details of the booking, and then fill in the chart below.
23rd of this month
25th of this month
Length of stay
(e.g. front view or rear view, etc.)
with side view, overlooking a quiet street
color television, an IDD telephone, a computer with Internet access, air conditioning
room service, wake-up call, laundry, dry-cleaning, translation, ticketing purchase, etc.
●Post-viewing: Role-play the following situation with your partner.
You will leave the hotel where you stay on business trip tomorrow morning. Ring the front desk and ask them to prepare your bill.
1) What kind of travelers should go through the Blue Channel when passing through Customs Control in EU countries?
2) What kind of travelers should go through the Green Channel when passing through Customs Control in EU countries?
3) What kind of travelers should go through the Red Channel when passing through Customs Control in EU countries?