Teaching Objectives (教学目标):
After completing this lesson, students should be able to:
--comprehend basic vocabulary related to delivery;
--identify and understand the basic elements that determine delivery time and methods;
--develop communication skills to:
Ÿ ask for an early delivery;
Ÿ settle delivery dates;
Ÿ discuss problems related to delivery dates.
I. Discussion (课堂讨论): Work in pairs. Discuss which of the following factors will influence the determination of delivery date.
l time of establishment of the L/C
l wording of the contract
l availability of shipping space
l quality of goods
l supply of raw material
l amount of orders to fulfill at the producer’s side
l terms of payment
II. Sum-up (总结装运的要素):
a. The date of delivery
b. Port of shipment and port of destination
c. Partial shipment and transshipment
III. Listening practice: Listen and Imitate. (录音呈现和模仿操练)
Task 1: Listen to the sentences and fill in the following blanks.
1) You should have opened the L/C one month after we signed the contract. Because you failed to do that, we’re unable to make delivery.
2) We’ve been in contact with the shipping agent. However, it’s a busy season. We’re sorry to tell you that we’re not able to effect shipment as scheduled because we can’t get the necessary shipping space.
3) Our supplier has a major problem so I’m afraid we won’t be able to make the delivery on time. Simply put, the supplier is short on materials.
1. You will hear an importer talking about the importance of delivery dates. Fill in the blanks according to what you hear.
The date of delivery is a matter of great importance to us. Good quality and a competitive price will mean nothing if the goods don’t get to market on time. Besides that, after the arrival of the shipment, the flow of the goods through the marketing channels takes at least two or three weeks before they reach the end users. If we can’t get our goods into the market before our competitors have sold their stocks, we’ll lose out.
2. Listen to the conversation about the delivery time and take notes. (answers and scripts omitted)
Words and expressions:
marketing channel; end user; profitable; manufacturer; capacity
IV. Follow-up Practice. (后续练习)
1. You will hear three conversations between sellers and buyers. Listen and complete the table below. (table and answers omitted)
2. Below are some problems associated with bringing forward the date of shipment and the possible solutions to the problems. Listen to the conversation and identify the problem discussed in the conversation.
A. no shipping space land transportation
B. goods not ready partial shipment
C. no available direct shipping space transshipment
V. Play the video and make the role play. (视听呈现和角色扮演)
●New words and expressions: time table; hurricane; halt; install; etc.
●Pre-viewing: Read the following chart to have a rough idea of the video.
1. Watch the video. Note down the disagreement between Mr. Hall and Mr. Aubery on the matter of deliver time.
2. Watch the video again and fill in the blanks. (chart omitted)
Keys: 1) workshop 2) halted 3) orders 4) capacity 5) installed
6) September 20th 7) September 25th 8) complete 9) transport 10) possible
●Post-viewing: Work in pairs. You are the seller and buyer respectively. Make a dialogue according to the following situation.
The buyer is in urgent need of the goods ordered and requires a prompt shipment after the conclusion of the contract. However, due to the lack of raw materials, the seller cannot meet his requirement. They are trying to work out a deliver time to the satisfaction of both parties.
●New words and expressions: misunderstanding; consignment; unload; slip-up; etc.
1. Work in pairs. What may cause delays in delivery? List all the factors you can figure out. (open)
2. Read the following chart to have a rough idea of the video.
1. Watch the video. Note down the reasons for the wrong delivery and solution to the mistake. (open)
2. Watch the video again, and decide if the following statements are true (T) or false (F)
1) The consignment that Ms. Lester’s company received was not what they ordered.
2) The wrong delivery was due to a mistake made by the Production Department.
3) Ms. Lester suggested to keep the goods if they would be charged 10% less.
4) Mr. Backer was happy with the suggestion of Ms. Lester.
5) Mr. Backer was not able to deliver a lot of A1 quality right away.
Keys: 1) T 2) F 3) F 4) T 5) F
●Post-viewing: Work in pairs. Choose a role card and make a dialogue according to the situation described on the card. (role cards omitted)
Discussion: If you were choosing a shipping company to transport your export products, what would be your first consideration? How can IT systems help the shipping company and its customers?