本次课标题： Unit 7 Product Presentations
1-2 周 9 月9、16 日 第 1-2 节
1-2 周 9 月 9、16 日 第 3-4 节
After completing this lesson, students should be able to:
--understand and use basic vocabulary to describe products and make presentations;
--identify the structure of a product presentation;
--effectively use communication skills to: describe a product;
compare the features of products;
ask information about products;
▲能力总目标: able to effectively use communication skills
1.1 describe a product
1.2 compare the features of products
1.3 ask information about products
1.4 make a short presentation
.understand and use basic vocabulary to describe products and make presentations;
·identify the structure of a product presentation;
教学重点: identify the structure of a product presentation;
教学难点：use basic vocabulary to describe products and make presentations
1. make students able to master the vocabulary and expressions by listening and reading
2. make students able to describe products and make presentation by role-play activity
I. Discussion（课堂讨论）: Work in pairs. Choose one product from the pictures and describe it to your partner. Try to prove that it is the better choice of its kind. You may use some of the phrases from the box. (pictures omitted)
It’s lighter/smaller/cheaper/easier to use than …
It’s more fashionable/stylish/comfortable/tasty/useful than…
Its battery lasts longer than…
It has more functions/memory than…
It’s one of the most reasonable/advanced/…on the market.
1. Giving general information about a product (产品概况介绍)
Let me tell you about…
This is one of our latest designs/top brands.
It’s our best selling…
This model is the best in its class.
I highly recommend this model.
It can be used for…
This comes with…
This is equipped with…
This particular one has two components.
This is priced at…
This one sells for…
2. Describing the quality and performance (描述性能和表现)
anti-magnetic patented shrink-proof
automatic programmable sound-proof
battery-operated second-hand superior
foldable serviceable washable
fragile shaky water-proof
non-iron shock resistant wrinkle-free
3. Describing the style (描述款式)
antique distinctive fantastic
modern elegant ornamental
conventional exotic showy
dated extravagant stylish
4. Describing the craftsmanship and workmanship (描述工艺)
authentic exquisite mediocre
defective handmade poor
delicate impeccable rare
elaborate inferior superb
exceptional intricate unusual
III. Listening practice: Listen and Imitate. (录音呈现和模仿操练)
The following abbreviations are often used in describing product specifications. Write down their full spellings. Then listen and check your answers.
1) MB megabyte 6) cm centimeter
2) oz ounce 7) hr hour
3) lb pound , 8) yr year
4) kg kilogram 9) mo. month
5) in. inch 10) ft foot
1. Look at this advertisement and fill in the blanks. Then listen and check your answers.
Looking for computers for your business? Come to MicroTech. Our prices are lower and our service is better than nay other office supplier in Chicago. Why go to more expensive suppliers when MicroTech is as good as any in the city! We give longer warranties on our computers than our competitors do, and our delivery times are shorter. MicroTech—for all your computer needs.
2. Below are some sentences used to describe product specifications and features. Fill in the missing words according to what you hear.
1) This shirt feels smooth because it is made of rayon.
2) This kind of truck is 6 metres long, 3.2 metres wide, and 3.5 metres high. Its maximum load is 8 tons.
3) The clock is shaped like a pumpkin.
4) The main features of our product are elegance, durability, small size, light weight and reasonable price.
5) Our products are elegant, durable, small in size, light in weight and reasonable in price.
6) Our product is the best-selling model of its kind.
7) The main selling point of this PDA model is its large memory.
8) This biscuit comes in 5 flavours.
9) The volume of this container is 2 litres.
10) Maybe this watch is a bit expensive, but it is waterproof and stylish.
Words and expressions:
supplier; specification; warranty; feature; delivery
IV. Follow-up Practice. (后续练习)
1. At a trade fair, a department store buyer from Pakistan talks to a Chinese salesgirl about microwave ovens. Listen and complete the chart. (answers and scripts omitted)
2. Listen to a telephone conversation about the supply of office furniture and complete the chart below. (answers and scripts omitted)
1) Can I help you/what can I do for you, sir?
2) I’d like some information about …
3) What’s your most popular model?
4) Well, our most popular model is … Here, this one. As you can see, it looks good and the price is low.
5) What’s the target market?
6) It comes in … colours/sizes, etc. The … one is the best seller.
7) Does it have any special features?
8) Hmm, how about the warranty?
9) One more question: what about delivery?
10) I’ll get back to you.
11) I’m calling about …
12) Could you tell me what you need?
13) It’s … high and …wide.
14) What’s the unit price?
15) It has been selling for a …% discount since … It’s only … now.
16) In that case, I would recommend …
17) That will fit perfectly! How much is it?
18) Would you like to place an order now?
19) It’s the best choice if you have a limited budget since it only costs about …
20) Well, that sounds like what I want. I’ll drop in this afternoon. Thank you.
V. Play the video and make the role play. (视听呈现和角色扮演)
●New words and expressions: photocopier; refund; on-site service; similar; guarantee; place an order; etc.
●Pre-viewing: Read the following chart to have a rough idea of the video. Think of some questions that Helen may ask.
1. Watch the video. Note down what Helen asked about. Use this checklist to help you. Dose she ask about
Selling point Price
Discount Service contract
Money-back guarantee Insurance
2. Watch the video again. Fill in the missing items and information. (answers and scripts omitted)
●Post-viewing: Work in pairs. Continue with the demonstration. You could go to learn on a real photocopier if you don’t have a clear idea of how it works.
●New words and expressions: brochure; cellphone; smart phone; retail; antenna; discount; etc.
1. Work in groups. Do you have a cellphone? If yes, tell your group about its advantages and disadvantages. Then demonstrate its functions to other group members.
2. Read the following chart to have a rough idea of the video.
1. Watch the video and make brief notes. Choose the correct answers to the three questions.
1) What’s not being introduced in the presentation?
2) How does the Fora 1300 compare to the SAMSUNG i700?
A. more expensive
3) Which statement is not true about For a 1300?
A. It can be sued to browse the Internet.
B. It will be launched at January 1.
C. It’s a type of PDA.
Keys: 1) c 2) b 3) c
2. Watch the video again and focus your attention on the way Tiger Braun organizes his presentation.
1. Work in pairs. A typical product presentation can be divided into several parts as shown in the flow-chart below. Work together to build a brief presentation on the new ASIMO model. Use the chart to help you. (chart omitted)
2. Work in small groups. Think of a new product you’ve bought lately and show it to the class. Tell students in your group.
a) the features and selling point of the product.
b) why you decided to buy it.
c) how it works or tastes, etc.
【步骤六】 （时间： 15分钟）
1. How could videoconferencing be useful in your work?
2. In what situations would you prefer to have a personal meeting?